If you have a story idea, a portfolio to share, an artist you’d like to see interviewed or a great new body of work you’d like to see featured in our galleries, drop us a note and give us a brief explanation of your idea.
If an editor has contacted you, and your story has been selected for publication. (If you haven’t submitted your story idea yet, you should do that first.) We would be very happy if you could use these guidelines when sending in your manuscript:
- Stories should be about 1,500 – 2,000 words.
- Stories should include a title that can stand alone. You may also include a subtitle, but only if absolutely necessary to support the title.
- Use subhead to guide the reader throughout the story.
- If the article is an interview, clearly indicate the questions versus the interviewee answers.
- If the article is an interview, please provide a brief bio, including picture, of your subject.
- If possible include examples that illustrate your point. These can be a portfolio of work, illustrations, diagrams, screenshots, or even links to elsewhere on the web. Do not embed images in the manuscript. Include references for where the image should be displayed.
- Write suggested captions for each image or example provided. Captions should explain your illustrations and photos, instead of merely providing a label. Please keep captions under 25 words.
- Within the manuscript, refer to all images, tables, figures and examples. For example, “… see image 1.” It’s helpful if you can also refer to the image’s filename, “see image 1 (filename1.jpg) to avoid confusion when there are multiple images.
- Please save text documents as either RTF (rich text format) or DOC (Microsoft Word format). Do not format your document! We’ve developed a house style and the editors will just reformat your document anyway.
- Files should be named using lastname.doc and lastname_img1.jpg.
- Include a file for the main text document and one for each image.
- Zip or archive your files together before sending to your editor or email the editor a url pointing to all the files to be downloaded.
- Include your name, address, email, and phone number. Obviously we won’t publish these, but it will help our editors contact you if need be.