If you have a story idea, a portfolio to share, an artist you’d like to see interviewed or a great new body of work you’d like to see featured in our galleries, drop us a note and give us a brief explanation of your idea.
If an editor has contacted you, and your story has been selected for publication. (If you havenâ€™t submitted your story idea yet, you should do that first.) We would be very happy if you could use these guidelines when sending in your manuscript:
- Stories should be about 1,500 – 2,000 words.
- Stories should include a title that can stand alone. You may also include a subtitle, but only if absolutely necessary to support the title.
- Use subhead to guide the reader throughout the story.
- If the article is an interview, clearly indicate the questions versus the interviewee answers.
- If the article is an interview, please provide a brief bio, including picture, of your subject.
- If possible include examples that illustrate your point. These can be a portfolio of work, illustrations, diagrams, screenshots, or even links to elsewhere on the web. Do not embed images in the manuscript. Include references for where the image should be displayed.
- Write suggested captions for each image or example provided. Captions should explain your illustrations and photos, instead of merely providing a label. Please keep captions under 25 words.
- Within the manuscript, refer to all images, tables, figures and examples. For example, â€œâ€¦ see image 1.â€ Itâ€™s helpful if you can also refer to the imageâ€™s filename, â€œsee image 1 (filename1.jpg) to avoid confusion when there are multiple images.
- Please save text documents as either RTF (rich text format) or DOC (Microsoft Word format). Do not format your document! Weâ€™ve developed a house style and the editors will just reformat your document anyway.
- Files should be named using lastname.doc and lastname_img1.jpg.
- Include a file for the main text document and one for each image.
- Zip or archive your files together before sending to your editor or email the editor a url pointing to all the files to be downloaded.
- Include your name, address, email, and phone number. Obviously we wonâ€™t publish these, but it will help our editors contact you if need be.